WhatAnti-pollution plant able to absorb carbon monoxide, benzene and trichloroethylene.
Golden Pothos, scientific name Scindapsus aureus, belongs to the Araceae family and is a special plant. It is indeed in the list of the 50 anti-pollution plants studied by NASA in the ‘80s. This study, that you can easily found online with the title Interior Landscape plants for indoor air pollution abatement, was thought with the aim to improve the life conditions in the space bases by starting from the well-known role played by the plants in making the early atmosphere hospitable for life. However, the result is really precious because it can offer useful advices in order to make the rooms where we live or work healthier, because the plant identified by NASA are able to absorb particular toxic substances that can be found in closed spaces. For what concerns the golden pothos, this plant is able to absorb the 75% of the carbon monoxide, the 73,2% of benzene and the 9,2% of trichloroethylene. The importance of golden pothos is clear if we consider that all these three substances can pollute the air of our houses. Carbon monoxide indeed can come from radiators, chimneys and heating systems that present malfunctioning and that are placed in rooms that are not well ventilated, but it can also be caused by the traffic of our chaotic cities. Benzene can be released by cleaning products for the house, solvents, printers, glues, paints, new furniture, carpets but also cigarette smoke, while the trichloroethylene can be found in paints, lubricants and solvents. Golden pothos is a climbing plant, native to south-east Asia, it has an ornamental role and prefers the hot and wet climate. It should be placed protected from direct light and should be abundantly watered. You can let the plant grow with a tutor and, for an optimal result, the best choice may be to place a plant each 9 square meters. Finally, don’t forget to aerate the rooms where you live and be sure that chimneys and radiator are perfectly functioning. Pay attention if you have pets because the golden pothos can be toxic to cats and dogs and, if ingested, may cause oral irritation and vomiting.